Friday, May 21, 2010

What's blooming today?


Mary Mary quite contrary
How does your garden grow?
With silver bells and cockle shells
And pretty maids all in a row.

*****

It's great to be back in my garden! With the building of our new cottage and plans for changes in the yard, it suffered from much neglect last summer. Overgrown and wildly out of control, I was not that motivated to do anything~ now, with the trucks and equipment pretty much gone, I've been right into it for more than a week. After hours of raking, weeding, cutting, tying up, edging beds, adding compost, moving and rescuing, digging and planting
(and worth every ounce of effort), my garden is beautiful and ready for summer!

A few years ago, I went to an auction in a village close to town~ it was at an old farmhouse on a winding country road. Alongside the barn was a huge patch of solomon's seal that I fell instantly in love with...I started my own patch under the flower boxes on our garage wall. They are blooming today!

Sweet forget-me-nots...enough this year to be considered a 'wave' of little blue and yellow flowers!

My lilacs are about 12 years old and are finally what I'd call a hedge! I remember a beautiful row of lilacs dripping over the fence from our neighbor's yard when I was a child...I'd cut some for a sweet smelling bouquet. This bouquet from my bushes is sitting in the morning sunshine on my kitchen counter. I'll be planting some more along the wall of the new cottage along with an old fashioned hydrangea vine as soon as the bed is dug~ can't wait!

A friend and I visit a beautiful garden early each summer~ it's owner is an amazingly inspiring gardener. She told me about a plant called sweet cicely, with little seedpods that taste like licorice. Last year I got a piece of her huge plant. It survived the winter and has spouted fern like leaves and wee feathery white flowers~ so pretty!

sweet cicely



...and last but not least, bleeding hearts in pink and white~ just gorgeous!
*****
The weekend forecast is sunny and warm so today, I'll be planting some of my flower boxes...heading for the garden shed NOW!
thanks for stopping by...karon

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful flowers! We're expecting summer like heat this weekend. Things should really kick in now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow such beautiful photos...and flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous tour of your garden, Karon!!!
    Happy weekend,
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karon, your lovely narrative descriptions and stunning photos remind me of that old saying, "You're nearer God's heart in a garden than anyplace else on earth."
    xoxo Mollie

    ReplyDelete