Sunday, June 22, 2014

June Garden

 
"It's beautiful the Summer month of June
When all of God's own wildflowers are in bloom
And sun shines brightly most part of the day
And butterflies o'er lush green meadows play.

Light hearted skylark songster of the wing
High o'er the quiet and lonely moorland sing
Above her nest cloaked by the tangled heath
Her charming song so exquisitely sweet.

So mellow the gentle breath of june day breeze
The birds rejoicing on the leafy trees
And dappled trout in pool bed of the stream
Bask in the sun their spotted skins agleam."
-  Francis Duggan, June
 
 
June and early July are my favorite times in my garden.  Everything is nearly bursting with life! This yellow butterfly has been flitting through the flowers all week and seems to be particularly enjoying these blue iris and bright pink chives. (She's also provided hours of entertainment for Ethel who scampers around the lawn trying to catch her!) Look at the beautiful bits of blue and orange near the top of her tail!
 
 
And the BIG news is there are lupins growing along the edge of the field in our back yard.  I've had visions of this field brilliant with lupins since the early 90's when I optimistically planted a few seed in soil as rich and fluffy as wet bricks - oh my innocence! Over the years, I've dug plants from the roadside, lovingly dug deep holes filled with fertilizer for garden center lupins and tossed handful after handful of seed into the grass, always hopeful but to no avail. 
I have to admit, I have no idea where these came from :) ... but I am hopeful once again. 
Can't you just see this field brilliant with lupins?
 
 
There are three pink, five dark purple and one large white off in the distance!
 

 
My poppies are fuzzy ovals ready to open, the roses are covered in deep pink buds, lilies and columbine are in full bloom and this happy window box is gorgeous with bright shades of orange, lime and deep purple-y blue!
 
 
Happy June!
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment