Sunday, June 8, 2014

The Lost Art of Letter Writing

And none will hear the postman's knock
Without a quickening of the heart.
For who can bear to feel himself forgotten?
~W.H. Auden

My niece and I are writing letters, real letters, to each other. She will be 13 next week and in our  world of immediate communication, has never experienced the delicious anticipation of a letter full of news and tidbits, handwritten on beautiful stationary, being carried just for her.  We began while I was away this winter, as a way to touch something the other had held in their hands. 
 She was a hoot, sending me text photos of the letters she had written so I could see when one was on the way -- a funny mix of past and present. She wants to continue now that I'm home which excites me - it's a wonderful thing for us to share! I reminded her we've been writing to each other since she was writing to Esmerelda, the flower fairy that lives in my garden...
 
and so it continues.  I'll keep you updated!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment